Saturday, December 6, 2008

Santa Wonderland

I've been looking and looking and looking to find something special for us to do this Christmas. Last year we did Moody Garden's Festival of Lights, which was a lot of fun, but because we keep moving more and more northwest, it's now an hour and a half away from us.

I finally stumbled upon Santa Wonderland (only an hour away just on our side of College Station). As soon as I found the website yesterday, Terry didn't hear the end of it until he agreed to pack up the car and go last minute. It was SO worth it!



You pay about $5 a person to get into Santa Land which is a complete circle of western-style buildings selling fair food, homemade quilts, Christmas and western decorations. In the middle of the circle is a beautiful campfire surrounded by blocks of hay to sit on. We listened to a cowboy sing Christmas Carols around the fire while we tried to warm up.


It was MUCH colder than we'd aticipated and neither Micah nor I had the warmest coats. By the time we finished our outdoor dinner (Micah and I shared the best chicken and dumplings with homemade biscuits and cornbread and Terry had what he called a "great" bbq sandwhich) we were frozen through and through. So Terry took Micah to a different firepit that was in front of the huge outdoor screen where they were showing Polar Express and I went on a hunt for warmer wear. Soon Micah was wearing a warmer hat, red mittens at least 6 sizes too big, and a really cute football blanket.


Speaking of mittens, can you notice the difference between these two pictures?



Then Micah enjoyed taking a picture with a western Santa in a black cowboy hat. I'll try to get that pic scanned soon. Micah got a kick out of Santa and wasn't scared at all.

Then we listened to an Elvis impersonator sing some fun songs before we bundled up to take the 25 minute hayride to see the 2 million plus lights.

Micah came to life and loved pointing out the different scenes made out of colorful lights. He had to stay bundled up really tight against Terry to keep him from the cold wind. But doesn't he look cute?



And here he is mid-sneeze...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow you have totally convinced me to go. Now I just gotta convince James...
(is it weird to say that in the last picture, Micah and Hazel look alike?)

AQ said...

BAH! Love mid-sneeze pic and the giant gloves pic. I was laughing at loud...something that both yours and Em's kiddos seem to make me do easily. :)

That place looks so cool! That might be a fun place to take Grant's parents when they fly in from DC for Christmas.