Caleb seems to be in the clear regarding Down Syndrome! There are not enough words or exclamation points to fully explain our joy.
And I thank God for teaching us over here in the Domino household a few more lessons. By confronting our fears about having an unhealthy baby next April or May we began to seek hard after God to learn about what we should do. We were given so much insight into this and I hope that someday we can share what we learned and encourage another mommy and daddy facing a pregnancy scare.
We also learned that the enemy is hard at work trying to steal our joy. Friday (our day at the doctor getting another scan for Caleb) should have been a joyous day full of happiness and relief. Terry and I were a bit agitated with each other on the drive to the hospital in the morning. But God reminded me right away to stay strong and not let anything get in the way of what was really important- Caleb's health. With his admonition I became aware of our mood and our spirit and realized how often we had to fight to stay optimistic (and later joyful).
First we paid to park in the parking garage only to realize it was completely full and we had to drive around it a few times before we landed a spot on the roof. Then we walked down the four flights of stairs only to realize we'd left our parking ticket in the car.
The day got worse from there- we waited 5 hours at the doctor's (losing a day we'd happily planned with Christmas activities), dealt with a rude, unaccomodating, insincere doctor, and it all culminated with a lunch/dinner that was cooked so badly it had to be returned ot the waiter. Not a good thing when you haven't eaten all day and your dying to take your first bite!
When the doctor said it was pretty obvious that Caleb did not have Down Syndrome,
I couldn't even filter the news. My brain was so hazy from sitting in a chair and watching CNN for 5 hours that all I heard was that we were free to go and I dragged Terry from the office. Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the doc had requested I go across the hospital and have some labwork done. We had so many uncomfortable things thrown at us that day that our good news was hazy and somehow became second place to our own frail mentalities.
Satan fights back; It's a truth I'm just beginning to grasp this year. God granted our prayers for Caleb's health and the enemy still wanted to steal as much of our joy from that as possible. When we should have taken a moment to get on our knees and thank God for giving Caleb his health we were instead beat down by the day and not obedient in our thanks.
I wonder how often in life I have allowed my joy or excitement over a gift or blessing from God to be taken from me. HOw often have I succumbed to the small or temporary hardships and ignored the overall big picture- that I am blessed and God has taken care of me?
I don't have a perfect life. In fact, Terry and I deal with some pretty nasty stuff from time to time. We've got our own struggles just like yours. Come over for coffee and I'll tell you about it sometime. ;) Even with all that's going on, even with the thought that Caleb could be sick, I caught myself thinking last week, "My life feels perfect! I have all I've ever wanted!"
Well, obviously my life isn't perfect. But I think that the changes God has been making in me lately have changed me so immensely that I'm filled with a new joy that allows me to ignore the bad stuff. I always thought that the Bible's command for us not to worry was a complete impossibilty. I feel differently now. I've truly "Let Go, Let God" and seen the power in that!
I think that gets to the heart of what Christianity means. I am so saddned by watching preachers on tv promise viewers that being a Christian will bring them blessings and rid them of difficulties. We all know that isn't true. We know it's the opposite- our world is hard on Christians and their beliefs. But what believing in Christ means is that we are granted Big Picture-mindedness. We see that life sucks sometimes, and we deal with poverty, disease, death just the same as everyone else. The difference is that God is love. He is love and when you choose to open up to Him (completely and fully, and really seek after Him) He'll share that joy and life will feel easier even when it isn't.
Thank you Christ for your willingness to shoulder our burdens. And thank you from the bottom of our hearts for Caleb. His big brother and his parents are thrilled that you've blessed us in this way!
2 comments:
Amen! I am so happy that baby Caleb is ok. Praise God that even in our worse days there is always something He does that brings us Joy!
You are so transparent, I love it. Great post! And I'm so happy to hear that Caleb is a healthy baby boy. Sorry you had to go through so much crap to get to the good news.
Post a Comment