Saturday, April 18, 2009

Big and Little Blessings

After our hospital ordeal Thursday night, Friday morning was pretty depressing for me. Terry was catching up on sleep so it was just me and Micah. I decided to take him for a walk. It was about 8 a.m. and the streets were crazy with kids playing while waiting for their school buses.

Micah was in great spirits and I had so much fun watching him explore. Being with my loving, funny, completely non-judgemental son was exactly what I needed. He picked flowers for me, chattered on and on about the 'big kids' he saw, and pointed out every single school bus.

When one of the bus drivers waved to Micah I was struck by how something so small could make my little boy so happy. And in turn, the wave cheered me up as well.

When we left for the hospital Thursday night, we were assuming that next time we came home we'd have Caleb. And it made me really emotional to be leaving Micah. All afternoon, I'd been aware of how this was likely his last day as an only child. Soon he'll be sharing the spotlight. Soon he won't be getting as much one-on-one attention. For some reason it made me really sad for him. Poor guy has a lot of activity coming his way and he's got no idea! I know in the end he'll have more fun with his brother than he ever had alone, though.

Going on the walk with him was particularly enjoyable that morning. He didn't ask about contractions, he didn't ask why my eyes were puffy or why I was walking so slowly. He was just happy to be in the moment with his mommy.

Terry and I have joined our church in the Faith Through Hearing program that lets you listen to the New Testament in 40 days. We just heard the scripture in Matthew that talks about how we have to make ourselves like children to enter the kingdom of God. That verse came back to me as I played with Micah on such a pretty morning. If I were to be able to release my worry like God commands us and just be in the moment, I'd be so much happier. Like a child.

And I've got plenty of reasons to be happy! Most of all I've got Micah- my biggest blessing! But we also got good news at our Obgyn appointment on Friday morning. Only 8 hours after I'd last been checked at the hospital I'd gone from 0% effaced to 50% effaced and I'd gained another 1/2 centimeter. It was enough to please my doctor and so we're now happily scheduled for an induction this coming Tuesday.

I hadn't wanted an induction. I don't think twice about them when other people have them, but for some reason it felt like cheating if I scheduled one. But once we had a firm date in mind, it was so freeing! Terry was able to know immediately that, with the exception of a half day Monday, he's pretty much already begun his paternity leave!

Today we cleaned/organized every closet and drawer in the house and I'm in the process of making a detailed grocery list to last us 2 weeks. We're very excited about our blessings in this house- big and small!

3 comments:

Kalena Hanke said...

I am very glad things are looking up! I can't even comprehend what you are going through...and honestly I pray that I never will! You are in my prayers Domino family!

Emily said...

Oh no I never thought about how emotional I'll be for Hazel towards the end of the pregnancy. Just one more thing to add to my mood swings! I'm glad you have an end date now!! I loved your answer to my text message, btw, about being relieved! :)

Audrey said...

Tomorrow, tomorrow it's only a day awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!