Friday, November 14, 2008

Pulling My Hair Out

Following through with discupline is H-A-R-D. Micah has been enjoying pulling every book out of his shelf and every toy out of his toys bins for weeks now. And we've been coming along happily behind him cleaning them up.

Well, no more of that. Here we are, sitting on the couch on a Friday night waiting for a wailing Micah in the next room to realize that as soon as he finishes putting his books away we can all leave and go have some fun. We've been waiting 30 minutes now.

He's generally a pretty good cleaner. But he has to be directed. "Go get cookie monster and put him on his shelf. Okay, now go get your Sponge Bob book and put him up." But he's completely capable of putting his toys up on his own. He just doesn't want to.

At first, I heeded the directions from a book on discipline I've read. I offered a reward before threatening a punishment. I told him once he cleaned he'd get apple juice. He didn't care, even though it's his favorite drink. Then Terry stepped in and said he'd be sent to time out if he didn't clean. He went twice. Next it was my turn. He got a spanking and sent to his bed twice.

It's a tricky game because he's realized if he doesn't clean and keeps crying then we come into his room and give him attention. So now we've told him once he's done he can come into the living room, where he'll get his shoes and socks on and we'll go for a ride in the car.

It's now been nearly 45 minutes. Our night is quickly slipping away from us. I'll let you know the results...

2 comments:

AQ said...

You guys are much more patient that I am. Grant gets in trouble immediately if he doesn't pick up his toys.

Emily said...

I am NOT looking forward to those days!! Any tips to start now so it's slightly easier later on?