Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Peace and Quiet...Just the Dishwasher Hum in the Background

"Peace!" It can mean quiet solitude, it can be a Christmas blessing, or it can be a political statement. But to me and Terry this weekend, it just meant sleeping in! Aunt Kelly and Uncle Kyle took Micah for 22 long hours Friday night! Terry and I enjoyed a night out and did some chores and caught a movie the next day. It was wonderful, it was blissful, yes, it was peaceful!

I had a few sad Micah-free moments. I wanted to kiss his little forehead before I went to bed Friday night. And I really enjoy being the first person he sees when he wakes up. Saturday we had trouble deciding what to do because everything we thought of doing just wouldn't be as much fun without Micah. But, it ended up being an awesome, restful day. Thanks Aunt Kelly and Uncle Kyle!

Sometimes, I feel like my sole purpose in life is to wash dishes and do laundry. Our house nearly always has a constant hum of these two machines working in the background. Unless I'm hosting a dinner or it's a holiday, I am a "rinse and load the dish as soon as you're done with it" kind of person. So you've got to understand the torment I feel at the sight of an unwashed dish! I am disgusted by the site of plates, cups, and utensils from the moment the last bite is taken until the moment I pull them from the dishwasher. Anything in between is just plain gross. But, it's been nearly impossible to keep up with the amount of dishes we use lately. Especially now that Micah has a new fascination with the dishwasher. The moment it's open he comes a runnin'. He wants to open and close it, splash in any leftover water at the bottom, and pull the utensils out of their baskets and use them as drumsticks on the floor. So playing defense with him and doing dishes at the same time is exhausting! So, I gave in. I did a no-no as far as our earth-friendly generation is concerned...
I bought plastic. Not just for the occasional meal, but for MOST (maybe I'm kidding myself here, and I should really say "all") of the meals. In fact, I opened the packages and stuck the plates and cups right there in the cabinets with their glass counterparts. I figure still using ceramic bowls and real flatware will keep me from going into total guilt-mode over the extra expense on our wallet and the extra harm on our planet due to my laziness!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am so the same way about dirty dishes. I have no clue why, but washing dishes (since we have no dishwasher...sad) disgusts me much more than cleaning a bathroom. What is it about wet food that grosses me out so much?