Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Pain Med Debate

I've never understood women who suffer through labor when pain medication is so readliy available. I've always believed in beginning my own epidural as soon as I felt the slightest pinch. But, after our birthing classes, I'm beginning to feel a little different.

I knew you could reach a point in your labor where it was too late to get an epidural, but I didn't know that was because if you get it passed a certain point, the baby will still be druggy and unresponsive when he's delievered. And he will most likely not be able to breastfeed immediately because of his drowsy state. Breastfeeding as soon as possible is important. It's good for the baby and it stimulates your uterus to begin contracting again which helps stop the bleeding and expel placenta particles (pretty, huh?) after delivery.

I also learned that an epidural can cause allergic reactions, make you nauseous, and not be out of your system completely for over 24 hours.

When you get an epidural, for most women, their labor slows, because they can no longer react to their contractions--because they can't feel them. A longer labor is definitely a negative.

Once you get pain mediaction you are limited to your bed. Even if your labor lasts more than 24 hours, you can't get up. And yes, there was even mention of a bedpan! :( If you have opted to not use the meds, you have maneuverability. You can walk the halls, sit in a rocking chair, use a birthing ball, or even take a bath or shower.

On the other hand, should something go wrong with your labor, and the doctors need to get the baby out quickly, and you haven't gotten the epidural, you will have to be put to sleep during the c-section, and not see your baby for several hours, once you've come out of the anesthesia.

And then there's possibly the biggest plus to an epidural- you can concentrate on the upcoming arrival of your child and not on the pain and your breathing exercises.

All in all, if I am in too much pain, I will not hesitate to get an epidural. However, there seem to be many reasons (avoiding the long scary needle is one I didn't mention) to not get one. My hope right now is that I can progress through labor with a happy medium- no epidural, just pain meds in my IV to decrease the pain and pressure.

We'll see, though. :)

No comments: