Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Comments and Reactions

I've gotten some really weird comments from strangers (and some from non-strangers, too!) since I've been showing so much.

Today, I was driving through a fastfood place to get lunch and after giving me my order, the lady said "Have a nice day and good luck!" I was really confused until she clarified, "...with your baby!" Huh. Didn't think you could tell I was pg while I was sitting in my car. I must be really big...

Which was exactly what another stranger said to me last week. After asking when the baby was due and hearing me say Feb. 9, she looked at my stomach and said, "Is it two?" And I said, "No, it's only one! Does it look like two?" And she said,
"Mm-hmm. You big and plump!" When I insisted the ultrasound said it was just one she told me to come back and thank her for the warning when it did turn out to be twins.

Then there's the comments from people I know...

One person loves to count Micah as half a person when we go out to eat. As in, "Table for four and a half, please."
Yesterday, I was asked to give my gut reaction to something. Then they did a double-take at my stomach and..."Well, your double-gut reaction, I guess!"

The funniest part is people who just assume it's okay to rub your belly. My rule is, if you would just come up to me and give me a hug, then you're probably close enough to me to rub my belly. If not, best to keep hands off. Or at least ask. It's really awkward when a stranger puts their hand on your stomach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I bet that fast food person was wondering later, "Oh no, what if that girl wasn't pregnant and I just made her feel horrible."