Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autumn Is In The Air!

Can you smell it?
...AUTUMN IS HERE!


My favorite time of year has arrived! The air isn't sticky-hot anymore; it smells crisp and- dare I say it?- almost cool!

I have very good memories of the last three months of the calendar. When I was little, Fall always announced itself by its sudden appearance in our home decor. I remember coming home from school to see the furniture rearranged (a usual pasttime in our house, and also an idiosyncrasy that I've inherited) and everything covered in orange and red pumpkins and leaves. Thinking back, the ushering in of Fall must have also coincided with my mom being refreshed and rejuvenated by our return to school. She must have finally been able to shake off that 'summer dust' and officially get the school year swingin'! I guess her September days were more open, giving her time to lug the boxes of Autumn decorations down from their hiding places.


Whatever the reason was, it's stuck with her. Because she still loves holiday decorations. Her fancy-pants house has graduated passed the autumnal knick-knacks of our childhood though. And so, I've been the lucky recipient of most of the decorations. Including a small, purple, lighted haunted house. A house whose light bulb, as far as I know, has never needed to be replaced, despite it's years of use. When Micah saw this little house emerge from the storage box and escape from its tissue paper, he immediately, unbelievably, remembered it from last year! He insisted I plug it up so he could watch it light up.

The Halloween Fall Festival costumes have been purchased and are tucked away in our closet. I've begun to plan my Christmas list. Two new tiny fleece hoodies are hanging in the front closet just waiting for the first hint of a cold front. I can almost taste the pumpkin roll, the wassail, and Granny's chicken and dumplings at the Thanksgiving table. I've already begun my hunt for Caleb's first Christmas ornament.

The next few weeks are all about anticipation. I'm anxious to usher in a new year of family holidays. Caleb's first Halloween. First Thanksgiving. First Christmas. And maybe the first ones Micah will actually remember.


The only thing missing so far is my fall-scented candle. I can't believe I haven't purchased one yet. Nothing beats those Autumn smells! I think I'll buy one tomorrow. I can't wait to light it and open the windows to let in that yummy breeze! That first Autumn wind blows in so much excitement! Holiday season is here!

No comments: