Friday, October 31, 2008

Discipline should be a four-letter word

Discipline is the hardest thing we've tackled yet. I understand, I think, why The Terrible Two's exist. I don't think it's particularly about the kids being so uncontrollable at this time. I think it's about their sudden need for rules while the amount of information they can grasp is still limited.

For example, after 6 happy weeks of Micah peacefully sleeping on his new bed, he's begin to test the waters. Occasionally, at nap time, we embark on what feels like an endless struggle to get him to Stay. In. Bed. We follow the words of the foremost parenting expert (according to humble us!) James Dobson and we practice consistency and we don't relent!

Micah has been in his bedroom for almost 4 hours now. A normal nap period should be about 2. And I think he's just now fallen asleep. We tell him when we put him down that he is expected to stay in bed and sleep. And then we follow a pattern we set from the beginning. Each time we have to go in and check on him because strange sounds like singing bears and stacking blocks are coming from his room, we take one thing away from him. Care bear, Sponge Bob, Elephant, Dragon, pillow.

After his bed is empty except for a blanket, if we still have to go in to put him back in bed, he starts to get a spanking each time. We've gone through this routine three different days now. I hope we're nearing the end of this battle.

My mom was shocked when she called earlier. "So, he can't come out till he sleeps?" I know she was considering that he might just be having a day where he doesn't need a nap. But that's not the case. As long as he STAYED in bed for at least 30 minutes, he'd be freed. And that's not cruel at all considering he's got 3 stuffed animals and a book that stays in his bed with him.

If only his little brain could comprehend consequences, rewards, or the future. Today, for example, I told him, "After you sleep you get to put on your pumpkin costume and go to church!" His shy little "Wow!" came next and his eyes got big. But I knew that he still didn't understand that until he sleeps there would be no trick or treating. And he doesn't understand negative consequences like the fact that he won't get to see his grandma now before trick or treating since his nap is coming so late in the day now.

I wish that understanding where the difficulty is coming from helped me create a solution. Alas, I'm at a loss. Any advice on this fun stage? :)

Aunt Mel: We're praying for you to get better! See you soon!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I will definitely be calling you soon on all your tips on discipline!!