In the last 7.5 years, I've lived in...SEVEN apartments.I've always heard people talk about the amount of work that goes in to buying a house, but I had no idea there would be so much involved in renting a home. Renting a home involved making offers, getting beat out by other offers, signing an original lease, allowing the homeowner to make amendments to the lease, signing the new version. Verifying employment, checking rental history, checking credit. Paying an application fee, paying a deposit, paying first month's rent up front. And let's not forget that all the payments have to be cashiers checks. Then there's things like getting appliances- washer, dryer, fridge, microwave. And lawn supplies- trash can, water hose, lawn mower, edger, etc.
Then there's packing and securing movers. Changing your address with everyone under the sun, having your mail forwarded, and signing up for new utilities. Because of our unusual circumstances, I've done all of this in the last 5 days. I am T-I-R-E-D.
But, it's worth it. I'm really excited to be in a home again. The one we chose isn't very big. Three bedroom, only 1450 square feet. But it's all the room we need while we get up the courage to buy in a few years. When we were trying to get pregnant we heard from a lot of people that they thought it was bad/wrong to have a baby in an apartment. I never really understood the argument at all. In fact, I think it worked pretty well for us. But there are some things I'm looking forward to about being in a house:
-Unloading the groceries directly from my car to the house via the garage. It is sheer torture to unload groceries with a baby. If I take Micah up the stairs first and leave him alone to get the rest of the bags, he screams until the job is done. Now, he will be able to sit in the doorway, 2 feet from me, and watch me get the bags!
-PRIVATE outdoors. This may be the biggest perk. We have a nice park at our apartment, but being able to let Micah play while I'm in my pjs without having to worry about what the neighbor's dog just left in the grass will be great! Plus, we have an annoying group of elementary boys at our playground who yell things like, "You suck my balls!" when they think no one is listening.
-The Water Closet!! Yep that's right, the toilet has it's own little room! Hooray! This is a BIG deal with a toddler. Right now, when I'm in the closet (which is in our bathroom) getting dressed, or brushing my teeth, fixing my hair, etc., I'm also playing a little game I like to call, "Micah versus the Toilet." It's exhausting keeping him from touching it while he plays at my feet. At the new house it will be in it's own little room, far from curious hands!
Here's a picture of the outside. I'm not showing the inside until we've moved in and painted! Yay!
1 comment:
It's so cute!! I can't wait to come visit. 1450 sq ft doesn't sound small - I think we'll be living in one that size the rest of our lives. It sounds perfect!
Post a Comment