Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bambino no more.

My baby's not a baby anymore! He's a tall, toothy, walking-on-his-own, telling-you-no, 1 year old.

Can you hear the sounds of me wailing? Who knew I'd be so bummed? I haven't really been the babying type regarding Micah (if you disagree, keep it to yourself!). And Terry and I used to say things all the time like, "This baby stage is so fun, but I can't wait till we can play with him more and he can interact." So who would have thought I'd have a hard time on his birthday? It just went by so fast. Too, too fast.

He surprises me every day with the new things he's learned. Just today, I was carrying him out of a room and I stopped by the light switch and said, "Turn off the light." And without blinking an eye, he reached out and turned it off. I didn't know he could do that. I always take his hand and help him do it, I just didn't know he could do it on his own, or that he could connect the words "turn the light off" with the action.

He loves to say no, and by "say" I mean shake his head. He still only has one word in his vocabulary. Dada. And he can't even say that on purpose, it's just babbling. But, he sure can shake his head no! He gets very into it and it's more like an entire upper-body sway rather than just a head bob.

He can find his ears, too. He can touch your nose, but not his own yet. He can dance and clap and he absolutely LOVES to high five! But, don't expect him to perform any of these tricks for you automatically. He's not a show off and so he won't humor you until you've earned it! But you are welcome to try and earn it as his birthday party!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday, Micah! I can't believe how quickly it went, either, and I'm not his mom! Wish I could see all this at his party...

Cari F said...

I want to give Micah high five! I need to see him!!