Monday, December 7, 2009

Micah Buys Christmas Gifts

Last weekend, we packed up our still-sick, always-sick, never-gonna-be-runny-nose-free-again family and headed out to let Micah buy his Christmas gifts.

First we emptied Micah's piggy bank into a coinstar machine at Walmart. He got $10 back and some change. He was so excited to get his first ever double-digit bill!



We've been trying hard to teach him some basics about money. For his third birthday he'll get Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Jr. kit and we'll start him earning an allowance and giving to the church. But for now we just chat about money when it comes up.

After he turned his piggy bank coins into cash, he gave his small handful of left-over coins to the Salvation Army Santa at Walmart and we got to talk a little about helping others. Not sure how much of that stuck... :)

Next we headed to none other than Dollar General. Micah took the lead. We'd give him a name off our list of family and friends and he'd choose a gift for them.



Here's one of the first items he chose.


Oh, don't you wish that you'll be the lucky recipient of this pearly cat?!


When we got home he put each gift into a bag, topped it with tissue paper, and attached a bow.


Then he posed with the gifts- all 20 of them! (Those of you who are quick mathematicians just figured out that his ten dollar bill didn't pay for all these gifts. Our family is just too big to expect the purchases to come from a piggy bank!) I so love this tradition. His choices make me giggle every time we shop this way!




And next year Caleb will be part of the fun, too. This was all he did this time around.

3 comments:

cmf9ferrell said...

What a cute idea!! I bet Micah is so proud of his purchases!

Emily said...

I told James about this idea and he was all for it. I'm super excited to see what Hazel chooses for people, if she grasps the concept.

Mama Q said...

Bahahahahaha! I love this idea purely for the fact that it's FUNNY. Oh how I'd love to get that pearly cat! Don't be surprised when one day our little Qualley turns up on our blog doing some traditions that seems earily similar to the Dominos! Ha ha!