Friday, July 21, 2006

The Shape of a Mother

Last night while I was waiting for Terry to come home from work I found this website.

http://shapeofamother.blogspot.com/

It's called Shape of a Mother and I had very mixed reactions about it.
It's where mothers come and post real pics of their bodies during after, and even years after pregnancy.

The site is full of dimples, varicose veins, saggy skin, and stretch marks. I have friends who've had babies and so I know what it can do to your body. And, I've never been thrilled about it. But, seeing these women proudly bare their bodies and what many of them call "war wounds" or "love scars" had an impact on me.

None of them speak of their bodies with regret, but only with the pride of having proof that they carried and brought their children into the world. It's a sacrifice they're all proud of.

So far my only evidence of pregnancy is a little wider bum, a fatter face, and the slightest of a pooch. But, it's nice to know that no matter what happens to me, I'll know it was for a good reason. And I'll always know that Terry loves me no matter what.
(When he came home from work I made him look at the website so he could start getting used to the idea of what the "new me" might look like in 6 months.) ;)

Check out the site- it should make every woman feel better about her outward appearance.

No comments: