Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Micah's Starts Kindergarten

We've been schooling for months now, even though it's just now September. Micah was hungry for school in June and a homeschool veteran I know told me not to make him wait. So we picked up school a while back. No Summer break for us!

I have been consumed with choosing reading curriculum for Micah because I thought it was going to be the hardest part about homeschooling. It was definitely the most intimidating! Well, while I was busy researching curriculum, Micah was learning to read. It seems like it happened over night, but I know that's not right. He's reading Level 1 Readers and usually only needs help with 2-3 words for the entire book. It makes me feel old to have a child old enough to read! But I'm so proud of him!

Caleb joins us at the table when he feels like it. I don't expect him to do anything but he likes to color and listen to books we read so he sometimes pops up during a lesson.

Micah is doing Explode the Code language arts,
Heritage Studies for Social Studies,
Brain Quest for phonics and math.
He's also doing Harcourt's Collections series and we're following the church's schedule for Bible Study (we study what he learns in Sunday School.)
We do various science projects from library books.

I'm allowing Micah to choose a topic he wants to learn about and we focus on it for 2-3 weeks. First he chose health (because it came with a trip to the health museum!) and so we studied food groups and the grocery store. Which led us to learn about money and now he can identify all the coins and he knows how much they're worth. We play "store" a lot now! Caleb likes to play store too. He grabs a Kroger bag from the pantry, fills it with toys and then asks me which ones I want!

 Next Micah chose to learn about t.v. Which threw me off at first and I almost said no. But there's actually plenty there to work with. We've watched the news together, discussed the terms we learned on the Weather Channel, and even watched old black and white I Love Lucy episodes. We found a website online where you can listen to old original radio broadcasts, so we did that and discussed how boring it is when there's nothing to look at!

Right now we go to the library every 2 weeks and he and Caleb choose their own books. I choose a lot of books on Micah's current chosen subject and "Voila" there's our curriculum for the year!

 After we read a Magic School Bus book where the bus gets swallowed and digested by Arnold, we decided to see what would happen if we used the blender to "digest" some food. It was pretty gross...

 This was a project we did to test the damage sugary drinks can have on our teeth. We put eggs into glasses of soda so we could see what happened to them over night. Would have worked better if I'd remembered that all the organic eggs we buy are already brown!
 
My favorite science project to date is from this book. Micah had to drop eggs from on top of a chair and watch them break (we used hard-boiled ones!). Then he had to experiment with different objects in the house to create nests and see if he could build one strong enough that he could drop it, with the eggs inside, and keep them from breaking. I think it took him about 5 tries. It was really fun!

He'll start Awanas next Sunday and that will also be rolled into his Bible studies at home. And he's been taking a really cool class at the Little Gym called Sports Skills. He'll learn all about the basics for several popular sports. It's a great class for boys 3-7.

2 comments:

Mama Q said...

I am SO excited for you & Micah! I remember telling you a while back that I knew whatever path you chose, you'd go for it 100%. You're actually going for it more like 1000%!! I'm REALLY proud of you, friend. :) And I kind of wish Barrett & I lived close enough to come to the Domino School of Learning.

Emily said...

Domino School of Learning, indeed!! I got REALLY anxious reading your post because I was thinking how Hazel is SO not at that level, and I am so not at your level of mommy-slash-teachering. Then I remembered I'm not homeschooling my children! haha Way to go Micah (and Sarah!) for reading!! I can't wait to hear what sport(s) Micah is interested in.