Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Job Description

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to resumes and job descriptions. Not because I'm looking for a new job, but because I'm trying to nail down the specifics of the one I hold now.
Obviously, we took a pretty hard hit when we decided to give up my salary so that I could stay home with Micah. Not in a eating-ramen kind of way (although I do enjoy Ramen) but more in a watch-your-budget kid of way. I do still bring home some kind of a paycheck because of the 7 hours I work on Fridays. But, somewhere in the last seven months (yes- Seven! Micah is 7 months old today!) I lost track of WHY exactly I quit my job.
I sort of became obsessed with alternative ways to make money. I think I was feeling guilty about cutting our income, especially considering our goal of paying off debt. I agreed to do some work from home for my marketing job. I enjoy being able to use my brain during the week, and because most of what I do at home is simple writing or editing, it's easy. Then, my boss asked me to come in one extra day for a week. So, I did that for 7 weeks. I also poured countless hours into researching freelance copywriting and I created my own website to get my own business going. In the meantime I started taking surveys for money as well and was working 4 hours every Sunday in the Church nursery.
But, one day a few weeks ago, I had sort of an epiphany. I was playing with Micah on the floor. "Where's Micah's nose? THERE it is!" And I looked up and saw the dishes on the counter and then noticed the survey website was still up on my computer screen. I had a pang of guilt as I thought, "I should be working." And something in that statement through me for a loop.
If being home with Micah was so important that I gave up my job and sacrificed some of our family goals in doing so, then I needed to give it my full attention. Micah IS my job. Playing with him, singing and reading to him, helping him sit, stand, crawl, and soon walk are all part of my job. It's in my job description. Those things are just as important as changing his diapers and feeding and bathing him. It just so happens that my job has some incredible perks!
So, I ditched the online surveys, walked away from my preparations for the copywriting biz, and even quit working at the church. Those things were splitting my focus and I was beginning to become a little frazzled and divided.
The truth is that there will always be a thought in the back of my mind that I need to be bringing in more money. But, as the daughter of a stay at home mom I can honestly say that having a parent not just around, but available, is priceless.
So, I'm going to sit back and revel in this wonderful stage of my "career." Luckily, I have a husband who doesn't expect or ask me to do anything more than be a mom and a wife. It's nice to trust in God to provide for us and be able to rest in that kind of assurance.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Aha! So those online surveys and other things are the reason why Micah is 7 months old and still not potty trained! ;) (for anyone reading this, that was a joke :)
It sounds to me like you're excelling at your job.

S. Domino said...

E-rob: Do you have some sort of a beacon that goes off when I update the blog. You comment on it as soon as I get it posted! You must be interested in baby stuff for some reason!

Emily said...

I have bloglines. I have about 25 blogs of friends that I read, and it saves a lot of time because you sign up, put the blogs on that you read, and then just go to one website, www.bloglines.com, and it will tell you which ones have been updated. Saves a lot of time! :)