Friday, March 23, 2012

Today, My Boys Are...

I can't stand saying this because I hate wishing my life away, but... I can't wait till May! March has been a doozy of a month and if the chicken scratch that currently covers the calendar month of April is any indication, April will be busy too! Everyone with older kids keeps telling me that this is how it's just going to be until the kids are gone. But I'm working on a solution to that. When days blur by, I forget to enjoy the little moments. I am going to buckle up and get through April and then, well, stop and smell the roses, if you will.

I've got plenty of events to catch up on, but what I really wanted to do was write about who the boys are today. March 23, 2012.

As of this very moment Micah is asleep (a RARE nap now that he's 5!) and Caleb is supposed to be sleeping but I can hear him playing with legos in the bedroom. I will not disturb his play because he, at almost three years old, can handle himself quite nicely without a nap. Caleb is very interested in the world. He likes to pick things up and study them. He is very laid back and is willing to follow where his big brother leads. But that doesn't make Caleb a follower, more accurately, it makes him a joiner. In general, Caleb is game. He still has his sweet little voice and he likes to sing Christmas songs even though it's March.

He loooves Toy Story and Go Diego Go. Given the chance he will run to and fro outside with no objective in mind but exhausting himself. He's beginning to be a better eater but he is still as skinny as everything. He will turn 3 next month and we have just now packed away the 18 month clothes. And that's because they were high waters, not because they were too tight in the waist.

He can be moody, swinging in between happy and sulky in mere moments. He approaches his world as something to be explored and he learns best when things are high-energy. Although he also enjoys quiet one on one times with his mom or dad. He has a long attention span and will sit and just talk to me for minutes at a time. His imagination is active and he isn't concerned very much with the "way things ought to be."

And that, is the perfect place to talk about my first-born, who is very much aware of the way things ought to be. Micah sees the world in little details and he is outcome-minded. He takes on an activity in order to produce a result. If he manages to have a bit of fun in the meantime, that's great, but he's motivated by a job well-done. He is motivated in his school work and he picks up new ideas quickly. We'll begin a new subject in school and it will be a struggle for his little patience to even grasp what the new concept is. But he'll plug away (maybe throwing a fit or his pencil a time or two) and within days he's mastered it. He's a little man already and has to be reminded often that it's ok to let your guard down and have fun! He's introverted and shy so he takes a long time to warm up to other kids. He is usually drawn to class clowns and overtly active little kids and so he's made some interesting friendships! He is enjoying T-ball and says he'd like to be an Astro when he grows up. He's very intrigued by his dad and Papaw who both played a lot of baseball as kids. I am looking forward to putting him in more swim classes this Summer because he really enjoyed that last year. Micah is a care-taker and an organizer. He loves to make up games for Caleb to play.

When the boys are together they are hilarious. Quite the little team. They are so well suited to be each other's playmates and I thank God all the time for making them such complimentary personalities. It's my prayer that they stay close and lean on each other. They have their own words for things and sometimes just talk gibberish. My favorite thing they say is "a-skatty-ass." I have no idea what it means, and I'm pretty sure they don't either, but it's fun to say!

1 comment:

Mama Q said...

I LOVED this post. Thinking and reading about birth orders and the way we're made is so fascinating to me...especially seeing it in real-life situations. "Care-taker" and "organizer"...Micah, I hear ya, man.