The verse of the year for me is Galatians 1:10: Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
And I've just realized that it applies to my stay-at-home-momness, too.
I remember a few years ago Terry and I went out to celebrate a good report for his year-end review at work. We went to Taste of Texas, our favorite place, and talked about what a good year he'd had. And I remember jokingly (sort of) asking him to evaluate me as a SAHM. I wanted feedback! I'll never forget that what he said, after much cajoling to get him to say anything, was that he thought I could be bathing the boys more. I'd had to laugh out loud, because, of course, what Terry meant was that he didn't see me bathe them every day and so he just assumed I didn't.
No one really knows what happens in between our four walls (I could follow that up with an evil laugh, Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!). And sometimes I wish they did so I might get a pat on the back or some validation. It would just be nice to hear that someone thinks I've been doing an okay job! But, if I understand Galatians 1:10 right then I wouldn't ever need that kind of validation if I lived each day with the idea of pleasing God. That's an inticing thought... I could get all the fulfillment I need if I just re-focus only on what pleases God.
Funny how I've been pretty much reminding Terry of this on a weekly basis for the past year. His work was miserable and I'd always ask him, "Well, did you work for God today? Did you do what was pleasing to Him? Or to your co-workers?" And of course, here I am, realizing that the same concept applies to me.
Now just for kicks, a sort of End-of-Year Review From My Employers:
Me to Micah: Do u think I'm a good mommy?
Micah: Yes.
Me: Why?
Micah: Because you give me candy a lot. But now you don't. (I'm guessing he means that I threw out the rest of the Halloween candy!)
Me: So since I don't give you candy anymore, I'm not a good mom?
Micah: You are. You're a good mom.
Me: What do you think I'm good at?
Micah: You just help us get better because... umm... because you give us medicine.
Me to Caleb: Do you think I'm a good mommy?
Caleb: Yeah.
Me: What do you like that mommy does?
Caleb: Because you play computer and Micah and Daddy. (um, what?)
Me: Do you think mommy works hard?
Caleb: Yeah.
Me: At what?
Caleb: Doing school. Now me play Humpty Humpty! (Sits on the window sill and acts out Humpty Dumpty falling.)
What am I better at, laundry or dishes?
M: I think, I think and I think and I think... both.
C: Dishes.
What do I do first thing in the morning?
M: I think take a bath everyday.
C: Do laundry.
What do I spend too much time doing?
M: School with Micah.
C: Playing with Caleb and Micah and Daddy.
What do you wish I'd spend less time doing?
M: You shouldn't take a bath much.
C: No crying. (He's been in trouble a lot for his whining today. I think he's projecting...)
What would make me a better mommy?
M: Doing everything I want to do.
C: Do not cry.
3 comments:
Oh Sarah, *I* could've told you that all it takes to be a better mom is to stop taking baths! You didn't have to drag the info out of your oldest.
Everything you said is so true! ha! Love the Q&A at the end!
This is awesome! Something for this SAHM to think about. :)
Post a Comment