I don't think I ever knew what busy was.
I am loving how insanely fast-paced life has been lately. I think I might die of laughter if I took a moment to re-read the post I wrote a few days after Caleb's birth where I mentioned that I hoped to be getting a nap in every day. Naps! Ha!
Right now life is go, go, go! With 3 family birthdays, Father's Day, Vacation Bible School, Wednesdays at church for something called "Family Camp," a new small group starting this Thursday, my little sister moving back to Houston, doctor appointments (mine and the kids), summer weekends and activities and just oh, you know- keeping my children clean and alive- June has been H-E-C-T-I-C!! Sitting still to write a blog feels very odd and actually stresses me out because all I think of are the many things I have to do!
Terry and I are normally both really big homebodies and I'll be the first to say the we LOVE our down-time. In fact, we normally schedule "down-time" in a weekend before we agree to any activities. (Really, we do!)
Cari, whose precious first baby Parker is just a few weeks old, commented to me that it's crazy that anyone can have a child and NOT believe in the miraculous and very present power of God. I see God in every sweet smile, every crocodile tear, every blink of my children's eyes. And I've seen it again in my recent change of heart (from homebody to busy-body, that is). He's definitely affirming His hand in our decision to have a second child because the pieces continue to fall into place.
For example, in the 8 weeks Caleb's been part of our lives, I've lost my job with one of my employers and even though my contract is still good with the other, I've only worked a TOTAL of 1.5 hrs for them in 8 weeks. So, I'm pretty much out of work. And our expenses have gone up. But, surprisingly we've been able to make this new itsy bitsy budget work. Despite the medical bills (anyone remember those pathetically weepy blogs about all those contractions? Well, each hospital visit really starts to put a dent in the ol' wallet!) and all the Summer weddings and graduations and babies. God has taken care of us financially.
And He's changed me from an "I-need-my-alone-time, curl-up-in-my-pjs-with-a-book" kind of girl into someone who is not just content, but thrilled to move non-stop doing dishes, laundry, diapers, runny noses, grocery shopping, housecleaning, and entertainment-providing for my intellectually growing 2-year-old.
And in the midst of all of that, I somehow managed to finally 'get to know' Caleb. Which really just means that I've nailed down his routine and needs. A quick run through for anyone still awake/interested at this point in the post.
Caleb...
-needs several quick cat naps throughout the day and one looong nap mid-afternoon (this discovery was what culminated in the end of his wail-fests!)
-loves to sleep on his tummy (although because of SIDS rules, rarely gets to)
-will burrow his head into anything nearby. Pillow, breasts, blanket, corner of the bed... anything! Which leaves me constantly thinking, "How can he breathe like that?"
-is most happy and alert right after he eats. (If it's a smile you're after, this is the time to try for it.)
-does not sleep as soundly as his more easy-going brother did. Bumping the pack-n-play, making a sudden noise, closing a door. All of these things will end even the deepest of naps.
And now for the question of the day:
How can a two year old be bright enough to figure out that he can use his baseball bat to flick a light switch on and still not be able to remember that the kiss part comes first when you "blow a kiss?"
2 comments:
Ah the tummy sleeping is SO difficult, huh? I may have told you this already, but we couldn't get Hazel to nap and finally found out she would only nap on her tummy. It freaked me out of course, and I'd lay her down to nap, then go sit in the room with her and read to make sure she was still breathing! I'm hoping Annabel will be a safer sleeper!
I love the question of the day!! Just goes to show just how creative kids are!
Post a Comment