Monday, March 11, 2013

Homeschool Works For Me

I started writing my thoughts about homeschooling down today. I was writing an email to two friends who'd recently asked a few questions about it. Before I knew it, I'd written a book! (Not at all shocking if you know me well.) So, I thought I'd post it incase I had any blog stalkers left (since my very long blogging hiatus!) who were interested in the topic.

Here's the letter:

Both of you recently mentioned that the idea of homeschooling has at least crossed your mind. I actually think that both of you made it seem like it was unlikely. But after a long day of curriculum planning I got all excited about our children's education and I thought I'd try to attempt to put into words just what I love about it so much. And maybe it'll help you and your hubbies make a decision one way or the other. 

First off, I wish there was a different term for homeschooling because I know most people (I was one of them) just pictured kids sitting at the kitchen table doing worksheets. Literally, "school" at "home." The genius thing of homeschooling in Texas is that we have very lenient laws so we don't have to report to anyone or follow anyone's protocol. Now, that might scare you and be the very reason you won't homeschool: because how will you accurately identify and implement the best ways to educate your child? Well there are a myriad of resources available for that. You can find level testings and assessments very easily. 

Now, back to why I hate the term "homeschool." The perception is that there are three choices for our children's education. A.public school, B. Private school, and C. Homeschool. We assume that if we rule out option A, can't afford option B, that we must choose option C. The problem there is that within Option C, you'll actually find an unlimited number of definitions. Just as teachers in the schools bring their ideas, theology, personality to the classroom, so each homeschool mom or dad shapes the way they choose to homeschool. But, while the classroom teacher has only as much flexibility as the government and administration allow her, the Texas homeschool educator has unlimited flexibility. 

Most people I know who homeschool began the same their first year. They "did school" at home. But once you get a sense of comfort that you CAN teach your child, you come to the conclusion that it's exciting, beneficial to your child, and enriching for both of you, to wipe the slate clean and build your way of educating from the ground up. 

I find it's helpful to start by setting long-term goals. I'm talking very long-term. For example, I want my children to find their strength, sense of purpose and peace from Christ. Period. I want their lives to begin and end with Jesus. I also want them to be well-rounded and interested in a variety of topics. I want them to identify their strengths and come to understand that they will not be good at everything they try. No one is, and that's ok. I want them to have good manners, respect women, grow to be good husbands and fathers. For us, personally, I don't care if they grow up to make a lot of money. I DO want them to find careers they'll enjoy and strive for success. But I don't believe thats wrapped up in income. If they grow up to have a passion for cleaning and they want to be a janitor, well, then I want them to be the best, and most missionally-minded janitor ever! ;) 

Now, you'll notice that I've yet to mention that I'd like them to have an understanding of history and politics. Of science and math. These are important to me. But, they are much lower on the list. If I raise confident, ambitious boys and they grow up to decide they wish they had a better understanding of, say, the inner workings of Congress, well, they can check a book out from the library. My schooling with the boys doesn't revolve around memorizing facts, repetitious exercises or drills.

I want them to learn. I want them to get good grades and ace their SATs. I'll try my hardest to provide them with the tools they need to do that. When I've exhausted all my own efforts, I will turn to tutors, outside classes, co-op classes, or online courses. 

Next, I'll address my short-term goals. At the age we're at now (Micah is 6 and Caleb is almost 4) here are my goals: 
I want them to play with their brother, interact with their family, and meet new friends. 
I want them to run around, get sweaty, and try sports. 
I want them to learn their chores very well right now so that taking care of their things is ingrained in them from early on. 
I want them to learn to sit still when it's important.
I want them to understand that sometimes work is hard and it's ok to ask for help. 
I want them to understand what the Bible is and where it came from and why we can reference it at any time in life. 
I want them to feel they're an important part of the family, but not the center of the family. We're a team. My kids learned from studying John Smith and the first settlers that "If you don't work, you can't eat." And we've sort of made it a motto around our house. 

Now to the fun part, if I keep these long-term and short-term goals in mind, I can easily draft and implement a plan that lays the groundwork for these things. 

Before we go any further- YES, of course, every parent of a public school child will also be setting goals for their children and taking the time to work towards them. The difference to me is that I've got much more time to work on it. All day, in fact. Let me tell you what a blessing it is to have an unlimited time during your day to stop what you're doing and address an important issue that's come up. Recently, the topic of death came up with Micah and we were able to discuss it as his pace for a very long time. We weren't rushing off to any event or hurrying to get a meal on the table or finish homework. That day, learning what God says about life after death, became the majority of our "schoolwork." It's not a necessity as a parent to have ample time to be with your children to discuss the facts of life without eyeing a clock, but it IS a blessing! 

Secondly, as Terry and I work to lay the groundwork for our boys during these early and very impressionable years, we've got way less competition than their public-school counterparts. My children aren't lacking in friendships or socializing time at all. So they do still come upon the same lies and evils of the world that any one of us does. They will inevitably still encounter someone who tells them the opposite of what we believe. But, I feel that I've personally got a much tighter reign on that. If harmful information or behavior comes within the boys' reach, we usually know quickly and can nip it in the bud before it can cause too much confusion.

As they get older, we intend to provide them more freedom and exposure to the world, but only at a pace we feel they can handle. I don't want my kids to be socially awkward or feel intimidated by the unbelieving world they live in. It's my intention to help them be the person God made them to be, no matter what social circle of influence they find themselves in. 

So, again, why are my feelings of raising a kid, any different than those of a child in the public school system? They aren't! I've just chosen the avenue that makes it easiest for us, the Domino family, to focus on what we think is important. 

So, now that the perception of homeschooling has been wiped clean and we've set our goals, next I get to tailor-make an education plan for us. 

I get to arrange tours at companies, sign the kids up for classes and tutoring, make countless trips to the library, build big science projects or sit at the table together and work on handwriting. We've got big curriculum books that provide worksheets and lessons in history, geography, language arts, math, vocabulary, science and health. We get through the information at whatever pace suits us and we linger on subjects they find more exciting and zip quickly through areas they've already got a good handle on. We do work in the morning, in the afternoon, or outside. We ask Great Grandma for help growing plants and creating a butterfly garden. We write emails to family members to encourage familiarity with computers. We take week-long trips to Oklahoma where we immerse ourselves in Native American culture. And sometimes we giggle and run out of the house to see whatever old movie is showing at the Dollar Cinema. We have play dates and park days and lunch trips with family members. We don't have much of a schedule. We do have much of a life. 
Some people are totally in to schedules and I imagine there are plenty of homeschool families that have charts and calendars and timed study periods. I'm glad they get to do that if it's how their children thrive. So far, we're all rocking and rolling along just fine with our varied and impromptu way of doing school. We're not doing so shabby, either. Micah is a year ahead in all subjects right now and he's showing no signs of slowing up! 

Micah has "homework" nearly every day. It's just a worksheet or two that he is in charge of doing at any point in the day before dinner. He is learning to pay attention to time and be responsible for finishing his work without being reminded. While we do focus on teaching him through the methods that we've discovered are best for him (he's a very visual learner) we will use a variety of teaching methods because, after all, that's how the world is and we have to be adaptable. 

My homeschool is shaped by my kids, my personality, and my goals. I love it. Whenever people have objections about homeschooling, or ask a question like, "But what about _____?" All I say is, "Well, that's up to you!" In a world where you're 100% in charge of how your child learns, grows, and goes about his day, what would you dream up? 

Worried about socialization? Find a club! There's thousands! 
Worried about being able to teach a subject that's hard for you? Save for a tutor now or find another homeschool mom or dad who excels in that area. 
Worried about losing patience with your child? Analyze where you butt heads and what causes arguments with your child and then implement a break when you think you're getting close to that point. 
Worried about your kids missing out on things like Prom and Graduation? Don't! If your kids want to participate, there are several organizations for homeschoolers that host these events. 
Worried about sub-par grades becoming a factor? Do some research and you'll see that homeschoolers consistently out-rank peers in a more traditional setting. And if you still aren't convinced, contact your local school and ask about your child participating in standardized tests. 
And last but not least: Worried that it just won't work out in the end? Walk down to the local school and register them in the middle of the year. Changing your mind is not a failure. Homeschooling isn't for everyone. 

Whew, I had no idea I had so much to say! I don't know what tomorrow holds, so I don't know how long we'll homeschool. But for now, today, it's fantastic! Have any questions? Let me hear 'em!  

No comments: